Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
RUcrAZ
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,059
Like?
A Photog's Nightmare: The Air & Space Museum
Jan 11, 2013

I have been to the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC probably 20 times since its opening. It's absolutely awesome, and a "do not miss" site for visitors to Washington.

But, I always come away with the feeling that it presents a terrible ordeal for me as a photographer. The museum is set up to visually overwhelm the visitor with the close-bunched, superbly restored exhibits, in interesting arrangements. But you cannot isolate many aircraft, nor "stand back" far enough, even with WA lenses; and many places are so dark that I've had to use ISO ranges from 630 to 3200, and occasionally (ugh!) flash. Or, the arrangements of the visitor galleries are such that you are looking into the light coming from the window-walls.

Love it, but next time I'll leave the camera home, I think.

Here are some samples on a solid-cloudy day (Wednesday.)

Be well

RUcrAZ

A side-note. Another visitor, a lady with a pro-grade Canon, offered to take our photo, and I mentioned that I used to carry a Canon, but had switched to Nikon (D5100.) She laughingly called me a "traitor!"

Be well

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow