Tribute to M43 tread!

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
SlamdunK
Regular MemberPosts: 250Gear list
Like?
Re: Tribute to M43 tread!
In reply to naftade, Jan 11, 2013

naftade wrote:

thankfully it isn't necessary to convince you on this issue. While the word "need" is rather difficult to define for something related to matters of taste so strongly as photography, I'd still say that other people know better what they "need" than you do (or as I do).

Take canon's 135 f2 lens for instance. With this thing you can take full body shots with very shallow DOF. This can hardly be achieved with ANY auto-focus mft lens.

Then the low light capabilities. OK, some mft cameras can produce nice images in low light, but the loss of detail in comparison to the best FF cameras is still pretty obvious.

Another thing is resolution. How can you say people don't "need" more resolution. Of course they do. It always depends on what purpose the image is made for. My brother for example is organizing company presentations at fairs. For their billboard-sized product presentations they need images with more resolution than even a DSLR can offer. That's where medium format comes into play.

To say, there is no "need" for a FF DSLR is like saying there is no need for any other car than the toyota hi-ace. Yes, it has four wheels and can get you from A to B, for sure. But that's not the end of it. If the passengers want more comfort, the cab driver "needs" something better, that's it.

Offcourse you are right, some people do need huge prints, and they might have another need then m43 at the moment, I also think I mentioned that earlier.

And you are right, m43 do not have a 135mm f2 equalient at the moment. The 75mm f1.8 is the closest today, and it is a magnificant lens. (even if the dof is a little larger).

I like the New concept of perceptual megapixels introduced by DxO Mark, it shows the real megapixel count with a spesific lens and camerabody combined, so you can compare m43 with other systems. Offcourse m43 struggles against the best of FF. TH PL25 has the highest m43 score on a GH2 or GX1 of 10 perceptual megapixels which is ok even for a full frame camera. Hope they expand those tests more.

-- hide signature --

I.B.
GF2, 45mm, 25mm, 20mm, 14mm, 8mm, LVF1
http://pitofknowledge.blogspot.com

SlamdunK's gear list:SlamdunK's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow