Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
quadrox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,011Gear list
Like?
Re: Copyright infringement
In reply to Erik Magnuson, Jan 11, 2013

Erik Magnuson wrote:

quadrox wrote:

This appears to be a clear case of copyright infringement, especially since the user is not notified off this practice in any way. Posting a link is not the same thing as giving permission to create a copy and distribute it. I am extremely dissatisfied with this situation.

The button is called "Insert/edit an image from the web". It should be obvious that if you "insert" a 6000x4000 11Mb original but it shows up here less than 800 pixels wide that a copy has been made.

If I post a link, I do not use that button, I just paste a link. Your statement is completely wrong in this context.

BTW, do you know how many copies of an image are made just using "normal" http?

Yes - but these have implicit permission for various reasons, I am not stupid, I know how the internet works. But even so, technically they may very well be copyright infringement, but almost nobody will sue anyone because it is in their own interest.

There may be an original, a cached copy on the local web server, a cached copy on one or more proxy servers, a copy on the local disk of the viewer and the final copy on the screen of the local viewer. These are all copies you have given (implicit) permission to be made by publishing the URL of the image. Note that some of those proxies and services may even change their copy by resizing and compressing it. It's just how the web works.

I fully agree.

But no web cache/proxy will create a copy of an image if the html only contains a link. Only when the user actually requests that image specifically, will the image be cached.

by posting a link, I am in NO WAY giving permission for dpreview to copy and distribute, this is simply not true.

Imagine that I post a link to a youtube video - does dpreview now have the rights to that video and may give it to it's users? I think not!

quadrox's gear list:quadrox's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow