Am I nuts? Nepal with just the X100.

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,356Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I nuts? Nepal with just the X100.
In reply to mark finn, Jan 11, 2013

I spent a little time in both cities in the 90s.  I usually used my SLR with a zoom (or multiple lenses) which I prefer for the different fields of view.  I also used a fixed lens camera on a few occasions.  It just means accepting the limitations of whichever camera you take.  You'll find that there are compositions aplenty that will present themselves to you as long as you're 'thinking' the images for the camera you've got with you.  A downside of the X100 is that you have to be very close to people to get a tight composition of them at work or doing whatever they're doing.

A smaller camera definitely has an advantage around people and crowds - I found that very obvious photography attracts attention - not of the unwanted criminal kind - but of the kind that means that the scene changes.  The Nepalese are very used to tourists with cameras.  Some people are 'over it' and don't want their images taken.  Souvenir sellers, performers, sadhus and others may see you and ask for cash to take them.  Kids may ask you for cash/pens/other things to have their photos taken.  Or they'll or just play up in front of the camera because they're kids.   You being there with a camera may change things......

Either way, you'll get some great shots and memories.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow