Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to captura, Jan 11, 2013

captura wrote:

I'm also an E-PL1 user and I love it's ease of use. Much easier to select options on the Olympus' super-menu. No experience with the OMD/M-E5, but there must be similarities. But I handled an OMD and hated the tiny buttons. Ergonomics on the NEX are better, but menus are counter-intuitive.

To me the most important factor is reliability and a number of OMD owners have reported breakdowns on the M43 forum. I've never heard of that with a NEX.

Yes, this is a point which I worried. And looks like most of failures related to sensor issues. It may indicate that Olympus still learn how to handle Sony's sensors.

The REAL ISO max. is 12,800 for OMD vs 25, 600 for NEX-5R and 6. Better low-light performance.

I've found that focus-peaking although a great feature is sometimes not accurate enough. Several solutions, but easiest to remember is FP followed up by Manual AF. But you can do the same thing without bothering with FP, on any Olympus, such as the OMD. NEX's FP is OK for fast street shots, low-angle shots, etc.

For any given lens, the adapter being used to adapt to the NEX is longer than the one for the OMD. Makes for slightly better compactness/balance. However, most legacy glass is large/heavy so smaller m/43 bodies can be imbalanced with large lenses. OMD not so much and NEX is OK by dint of having the better grip, etc.

OMD AF is aided by virtue of longer depth of field. NEX 5R/6 d.o.f. is aided by virtue of PDAF.

Steve

Thank you Steve! Good points! Regarding adapter length - m4/3 Flange focal distance is 19.25mm, Sony E-mount - 18mm. So difference in 1.25mm will not be a problem (from handling point of view).

YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow