D5200 very first impression (very hard shutter release?)

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Stephan Def
Regular MemberPosts: 291Gear list
Like?
D5200 very first impression (very hard shutter release?)
Jan 11, 2013

I was to the Camera store yesterday and got my hands on a D5200. Its just like the D5100 from a usability point of view, I could quickly find the settings in menus, that I wanted to change.

What really surprised me was the unbelievable hard shutter release, at first I thought I had some extreme fast exposure time. But that was not it, it releases with a very loud and hard impact even on slow shutter speeds, that was unexpected and really surprised me, because the D5100 is very smooth and quiet by comparison.

I can see why that AF array might be very confusing from a usage and handling point of view, maybe I am missing somthing but its hard to know exactly on what the camera is focusing. I imaging that with a wide open aperture on APS-C that focus might be a dodgy affair, even more so if it is a lens that is not perfectly calibrated, I don't know that is just my feeling about it. It would help a lot if the exif data had more information on what was focused on, so it would be possible to discover more about the focus in post.

The high iso image quality seems fair enough, although I could see that there is significant noise at 6400 and I believe also  at 3200.

I am not sure if the addtional cropping capability (24MP) is worth the possible disadvantages that this new sensor might have.

I am a D5100 user.

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Nikon D5100 Nikon D5200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow