How to delete a photo from Forum?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Deleted1929
Forum ProPosts: 13,050
Like?
Think again
In reply to quadrox, Jan 11, 2013

> Posting a link is not the same thing as giving permission to create a copy and distribute it

The internet doesn't do "I changed my mind".

You post it, it exists in multiple copies all over the place.

Copies of entire websites are archived and maintained all over the place ( e.g. http://www.archive.org  ).

If you publish it, it's there for ever.

Copyright infringement is use without permission.  Copying and using alone is not copyright infringement.  I'd suggest you look very closely at the terms and conditions of image hosts and websites with public forums.  Typically they allow the website you post to a limited right to copy and distribute for purposes of maintaining functionality and data integrity.

If you're not happy with DPR's T&Cs then take the matter up directly with the editor or your legal council, because the moderators are just users who volunteer their time.  We can't fix your issue.

The whole problem with allowing unlimited editing after the fact is simply illustrated.

I post "X does Y".

You post "Actually, X doesn't, see link Z, it does A"

Now I edit my original post to "X does A"

Now someone else responds to the post saying "You twit, he already said that" because they never saw the mistake I made originally.

This stops me looking like I'm wrong ( which is very important to some people on the internet ) and makes the person who corrected them look silly ( also very important to some people on the internet ).

The best way to think of the internet is like a newspaper.  There are always going to be copies of what you posted to that big messy newspaper and you cannot undo it.

In short - you publish it - your problem forever.

-- hide signature --

StephenG

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow