L-lens seal against the 5D mk III....?

Started Jan 11, 2013 | Questions thread
Knackerman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,446
Like?
Re: L-lens seal against the 5D mk III....?
In reply to Nigel Wilkins, Jan 11, 2013

Well, I have noticed that the 5d mk III's lens mount area, lack a groove that my 1ds mk II has, this is where the seal actually goes into.

I haven't done any testing myself (thus hence the question here), but afaik, the seal would be pressed against the camera body, creating a sealing effect, but since there is no groove, any water penetrating, would probably have a freedom of movement, all the way into the mirror and sensor housing.

The groove on the 1-series, force any water to follow the groove to the bottom of the camera.

(I think)

Maybe this is a bit theoretical anyway, my experience is that any water able to penetrate into the camera, usually comes in trough the top buttons or the flash-shoe, you'd need an considerable amount of water penetrating at the lens mount, to cause serious issues and camera breakdown, probably.

I use a plastic bag if it rains, I did it with my 1ds mk II and I will do it with my 5d mk III as well.

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow