Obamacare - how many others will this happen to?

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,141Gear list
Like?
Healthcare Delivery and a Nation's Health are not synonymous..
In reply to Wheatfield, Jan 11, 2013

Wheatfield wrote:

RBFresno wrote:

Wheatfield wrote:

EVERY OTHER DEVELOPED NATION that has single payer health care .... than the USA does, and has better results.

http://www.ncpa.org/pub/ba596

Not my fault you think cherry picking one metric means much

Americans have worse health than people in other high-income countries

Thant last statement is true.

But it does not necessarily mean that the U.S. Healthcare system is worse.

You have been using "healthcare" and "health" of the U.S. citizens interchangeably. They are different.

For example, if a country had the best Healthcare in the world for treating diseases of the newborn, but its citizens abused drugs, smoked, drank alcohol, were overweight, had higher incidence of gestational diabetes etc., and had a high incidence of low birth weight babies, that nation will have poor infant mortality rates.

And comparing the quality of a countries healthcare, is made extraordinarily complex by the demographics and lifestyles of different those countries. Even among the most expert, there is disagreement of how accurate even the most sophisticated multivariate analysis can illuminate the healthcare quality of a nation. The health of a nation is easier to measure.

I picked (or "cherry-picked" to use your term) cancer survival rates (not not cancer incidence rates) since it analyzes those with a particular malignancy.

The opening paragraph in your reference:

"On average, Americans die sooner and experience higher rates of disease and injury than people in other high-income countries, says a new report from the National Research Council and Institute of Medicine."

It should be obvious that this statement, while true, does not define the nation's healthcare delivery, but rather, the health of its citizens. They are related but do not correlate 100% with each other.

As a medical intern, I rotated through a busy emergency room in a U.S. county hospital.

One of the attending emergency physicians was from Pakistan, and had received much of his training there.

One night, I naively remarked how awful it must have been for him to witness the horrible diseases that I imagined he had to treat among the Pakistani poor. I'll never forget his answer:

"Oh no. That's not true at all. I've never seen such disgustingly self-abusive, disease-ridden people until I came to the U.S. In Pakistan, even the poor have to do the necessities of eeking out a living, keeping clean, finding basic food and shelter"

"But in the U.S., many of the poor don't have to work to survive, but rather, lay around getting no exercise. They can use their welfare money to abuse themselves with alcohol and drugs. They are far more disgusting than what I saw in Pakistan."

RB

BTW, I'm still waiting for your thoughts on my comments to your earlier post:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50638205

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow