Portability v Quality are we obsessed by size?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,125Gear list
Like?
Re: Mirrorless and AF speeds as a limitation
In reply to ianbrown, Jan 11, 2013

Hi (again)

It's notable how many people in this thread and others have cited slower AF speeds as the reason the mirrorless cameras aren't as versatile as their DSLRs.  I agree that it's true today.  However, this very week we've seen new Fuji cameras with what appears to be a massive improvement in AF speed.  I don't actually know how these new models compare with a good DSLR - quite probably they're still slower.  OTOH, DSLR PDAF has had thirty odd years of development.  On-sensor PDAF development might have had two years development.  We can't yet say whether or not the gap between DSLR PDAF and on-sensor PDAF might be closed.  Perhaps it's even possible that on-sensor PDAF may be faster?   In which case the AF speed might not be a limitation at all in the future.

The only technical limitation that I can see that that I don't think CAN be made to reach the speed of a DSLR is the lag between an event and its display in an EVF.  Mirrorless cameras that use an EVF (not an OVF) will always have to take a small but finite time to process the event and display it in the EVF.  Optical is always instant.  If a photographer (taking sports, wildlife, etc) needs split second timing then a DSLR with an OVF may be the only solution.

Interesting times  -  good for us photographers.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow