Sigma APO 70-200MM F2.8...

Started Jan 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
awaldram
Forum ProPosts: 10,748Gear list
Like?
Re: Sigma APO 70-200MM F2.8...
In reply to Calico Jack, Jan 11, 2013

Calico Jack wrote:

Who mentioned APO EX DG Macro? Not I. My references was between the APO EX and APO EX DG. Having owned the former in 70-200/2.8 and 100-300/4 lenses and the latter in EX DG APO format in 100-300/4, I can at least talk from experience insofar that the EX DG APO controls CA/PF better than the Series 1 APO EX non DG. Personally for that reason, I tent to try and get the EX DG APO in the various focal lengths when buying Sigma glass unless the price is just too good to pass up.

-- hide signature --

Mark @ Sonolta * Photography

Its your naming convention at odd with Sigmas' and the rest of the world

Sigma call both the EX and EX DG series 1 (or in reality unumbered)

the macro version was call the EX DG HSM ii and is known by users and Sigma alike the 'Series ii'

so when you say series ii everyone thinks your talking about the lens called the series ii not the updated coating series 1

• 1998: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX *
  • 2005: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG (HSM accept Pentax) *
  • 2006: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM (Never released in Pentax)
  • 2007: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II
  • 2010: Sigma AF 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM *

Those with * next to them are IMO the best.

As for DG coatings the only difference I've seen between them is a slight increase in ghosting for the non DG variant which agrees with Sigma white paperss on the DG coatings on the rear element for digital.

Not sure how you think comparing the CA of two different lens has any bearing on DG coating rather than optical solution though ?

Again your at odds with the manufacturer in your understanding of what the DG coating is for.

The longer the focal length the less affect DG will have on the result, also fitting a DG TC  to a non DG lens will turn it into a DG lens with all the benefits of the anti-reflective rear element coating.

awaldram's gear list:awaldram's gear list
Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow