HS50 vs X-S1

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Larry Winters
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,825
Like?
Re: HS50 vs X-S1 is the whole problem...
In reply to mwhyte, Jan 11, 2013

mwhyte wrote:

I have to agree...

I have said a few times...I believe the 1" sensor to be an ultimate sweet spot...a spot where you could do 12 - 16 megapixels and still have a pixel sensor size large enough for adequate dynamic range and low noise to 1600 or even 3200 iso...without having gianormous zoom lenses that weigh a tonne....ever see those bird photographers with those beastly lenses...attached to their DSLR's...I admire them...but I could never do it...

Any lens experts out there? I would be curious to know how much larger a 24-400mm equivalent lens would be with a 1" sensor as compared to a 24-624mm lens attached to a 2/3" sensor...

I would even be willing to accept a slightly larger lens for more zoom...with a 1" sensor...

My personal two cents is I doubt Fuji will do it...if what everyone is saying is true and the X-S1 was not a huge seller than why would they invest in a new sensor when they could just take the money invested in a current sensor like the one in the X-20 and use it in an X-S2 and save a tonne of money on R&D...to save even more money they could use the same lens...

Like a broken record...I keep saying I will just be happy if they do put out an X-S2

If I was to place bets on which company might put out a 1" sensor bridge zoom camera my money would go to Sony....They have already used the 1" sensor to great fan fare on a compact...so why wouldn't they try it on a bridge camera....maybe not as they might fear it would eat into their DSLR market...and lenses...

All the more reason for FF to introduce a 1" sensor bridge. They don't have any DSLR cameras or lenses to compete within there own bridge market. Plus they are the only one with manual zooms, which I find paramount for my tastes as well.

It just seems prudent that at some point, if FF are gonna produce a large DSLR size bridge zoom, then dump these pin head sensors and get on with a larger sensor. The 1" does seem large enough for a vastly improved IQ and small enough to possibly allow for a 24-400 range lens.  I'm not sure a 24-200 would entice enough interest, but even a 24-300 might.

I imagine I'm getting myself all jacked up for nothing. But its always fun to dream.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow