Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
fermy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,167
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to captura, Jan 11, 2013

Another m4/3 and NEX user here and a huge manual focus addict. I have two older models: E-PL1 and NEX-5. Here's my 2 cents.

On paper NEX-6 wins: focus peaking + smaller crop factor should trump IBIS. IMHO it's very hard to find a legacy lens wider than 24mm that would make sense. On NEX 24mm will get you a pretty nice wide-normal (35mm FOV), while on m4/3 that would give you rather pedestrian 48mm equivalent.

That being said, I am more confident of getting a shot that I like out of my E-PL1 than out of NEX-5.  Oly processing/color is simply nicer, and that (for me) more than compensates for the gap in sensor IQ. IBIS helps for sure too. Now OM-D has no gap in sensor IQ compared with NEX-6 IMHO. So for me this would be the choice between Oly processing + IBIS v Focus peaking + wider FOV.

There are two more things to consider: one in favor of NEX, one in favor of Oly. OM-D is a bigger update over E-PL1 than NEX-6 over NEX-5 (unless we consider flash).  I think I would get better shots out of OM-D than out of NEX-6. However, you already have a m4/3 body (and pretty nice one too if you can stay below 1600 ISO), so it might make sense to try the NEX side. That will effectively double your lenses due to difference in crop factor.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow