How much light does CNTL flash "spill" into scene?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
robert614
Senior MemberPosts: 1,128
Like?
Re: How much light does CNTL flash "spill" into scene?
In reply to William Porter, Jan 11, 2013

William Porter wrote:

robert614 wrote:

Have you adjusted the ratio settings on the on camera controller flash.You can set "ctrl" to "--" so the amount of light it outputs is minimal.I have sold my F43 and F58 flashes so I don't remember exactly how to do it,but I'm sure it's in the manual.

I know how to do it, but I didn't have ratio control turned on in these tests, and unless you turn it on, you can't set the ratio. So how would that matter?

Now that you mention it, though, I'm also not sure I see why the ratio control options include numbers at all, and they do. In ratio control, you can set controller to "--" but also to 1, 2, 4, 8, etc. I haven't shot with ratio control at all yet, although I have wanted to. I'm used to putting the flashes into manual and getting things to work for me that way. I'll have to play with this next.

Will

Actually,I may have led you astray.I was just reading my F60 manual.It says that if you turn the ratio setting "off" completely, then the control flash will only emit a control flash signal and not contribute any light to the picture.If ratio is turned on,then you can adjust the amount of light the control flash and each remote flash will contribute to the final picture.I would imagine the f58 and the f43 would function the same.Sorry for the misinformation.

Robert

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow