XF14mmF2.8 R pre-production samples

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,178Gear list
Like?
Re: XF14mmF2.8 - distortion control, flare and price?
In reply to flysurfer, Jan 11, 2013

Thanks for posting these.

I'd be happy with this lens to compliment the zoom or the 23mm.  I'd be happier with the 14mm lens's 21mm EqFOV than the 12mm Zeiss's 18mm EqFOV.

On distortion - Like someone else said the output looks good from a distortion point of view - I hate curved lines and like having undistorted rectilinear results SOOC.  I know it can be done in PP but it's part of my religion that I shouldn't have to.  There was another thread about this lens and I asked if distortion was controlled optically or digitally.  No-one knew for sure, but someone did produce a piece of Fujifilm promotional material that said it was done optically for the 14mm.  (That's not true of some of the other X series lenses).

On flare -  I'd also like to see some sun-included shots.  It would be nice if the flare is well controlled and we can take sun-included landscapes.  I'm used to the Pentax 15mm f4 which is brilliant in that respect, but the faster lens might flare more - the price of speed.

On price - people are bristling about the expected $1000 price tag of the 12mm Zeiss and saying that this lens might therefore be their preferred lens.  However, I suspect the 14mm won't be a lot cheaper - does anyone else recall having seen something about it being $900 MSRP?  I don't know what the street price will be, but it won't come down for a while - the early adopters will pay more.

Cheers, Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow