Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jeffsw6
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
OT question about Epson WorkForce printer
Jan 10, 2013

I hope you guys don't mind an off-topic question about my Epson WorkForce 4540.

So the fax on it broke. I learned that Epson SOHO products do not come with great support like the Pro printers do. I guess that shouldn't be too surprising, but it took over an hour on the phone to go through the steps the Epson call-center guy wanted me to do. He finally diagnosed the problem (incorrectly) but sent me a replacement 4540 printer.

The replacement used up all of its C, M, and Y inks to prime the printer. It wouldn't even finish the initial setup process. I called Epson tech support again and the guy advised me to take the half-used inks out of my old printer (which they want me to send back with the broken unit) and use them to finish the initial setup procedure.

The factory inks weren't empty when I opened them. I shook them, per the instructions, and could feel ink inside. They were definitely depleted when I swapped them out. Why did it consume all the color inks? It drew down the new K cart to about 40%, which also seems abnormal. The waste tank seems about 70% empty.

The replacement printer works now. Do you think it will keep working fine, and the problem with initial priming was just a one-time issue? My warranty is probably based on the original purchase date of the first unit, which means it runs out in about 5 weeks!

I wonder if I could buy the extended warranty before the original one runs out? Maybe Epson would offer it to me since I obviously had a strange thing happen to my replacement already.

Dealing with the WorkForce support people is sure not like Epson Pro, let me tell you! :-/

EDIT: If you are curious, I print about 2000 pages/month with the 4540, almost all black & white documents.  My original color cartridges were still all over 50% full after nearly a year of use; but I was about to use up my second K cart when the fax broke.  I have very few complaints about the 4540.  If it keeps working right, it is the perfect printer for my SOHO uses.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow