HS50 vs X-S1

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
mwhyte
Junior MemberPosts: 36Gear list
Like?
Re: HS50 vs X-S1
In reply to PAUL TILL, Jan 10, 2013

I am going to rant here...just because I am so sick and tired of people harping on the XS-1 and what a crappy camera it was or is...

First off I really hope that Fuji takes another chance and creates an XS-2 because the XS-1 was and is a dream camera at least for me...sure it has a few faults here and there but no camera is perfect...

To answer the HS50 vs XS-1 comparison...

- The HS50 first off has a slightly smaller sensor...never a good thing....but not a deal breaker if they can keep the quality up at ISO800 or so...and the dynamic range acceptable....

- second and more importantly to me is the tiny EVF...ever seen the XS-1 EVF? It is fantastic...and great for both framing your photos and reviewing your photos...it is large and takes up a good portion of your field of view...it is nothing like the looking through a tunnel experience....

- Having not touched an HS50 I can not comment on the build quality...but I have touched the supposedly almighty FZ200 from Panasonic that people rave about and it is a plastictastic piece of work...does not feel nice...this of course has no baring on photo quality...but their is something nice about picking up something like the XS-1 with its bits of metal and high quality plastic that just makes taking pictures more of a joy...

For me the HS50 is not an XS-1 replacement....again I hope they bring out an XS-2....I have a feeling I am a small minority...but oh well...I will just keep my XS-1...

-- hide signature --

Ok now I want to address all the criticism I here regarding the XS-1...I always here these..."the drooping lens", "the orbs", "the image quality", "the price", "why bother when you can get an SLR"..."the size", "the weight"...

The one that ticks me off the most is the drooping lens baloney...I have seen post with people with the lens stuck out and measured with a ruler...I have read comments from people who complain even without owning the camera...

I own an XS-1...I believe it to be an early model...I never sent it in to fix the orbs...I have never measured my lens to see if it droops....I turn on the camera...I zoom and I take a picture, it works and it works well....The lens in my opinion is leaps and bounds quality wise above any lens I have seen in a bridge camera...I am not talking specs but I am talking build quality here...the metal ring, the smooth feel of the zoom...I have worked with broadcast quality video cameras...and this zoom has the same smooth feel as those multi-thousand dollar broadcast video lenses....

Next is the supposedly crappy image quality...

I have never taken more beautiful pictures than I have with the XS-1...sure maybe resolution is not a match for other cameras...but for me the straight out of the camera colours are simply beautiful and the dynamic range especially in EXR is just amazing...to me it is the colours and the dynamic range that make all the difference...I zoom into pictures for editing but I do not zoom into pictures when I am just enjoying them and looking at the composition...I think the Fuji engineers did it right they created a camera that puts out beautiful pictures...for people who look at and admire pictures...not for nerds who look at pictures with a magnifying glass...if that is you then get a 4 x 3 field camera and do your Ansel Adams thing...that will make you happy...I have so many great pictures that I can not wait to post what I have taken with the X-S1...there is just so many...I have a backlog...I have rarely been disappointed....My love is landscape photography....

Why not just get a DSLR with a kit lens?

Yeah sure...I will get a camera with large sensor but with a lens with a focal range of 28 - 80 mm ...to me photography is 80% composition...others will disagree... 28 - 80 mm is a very limiting range...sure pixel level detail will perhaps blow the XS-1 out of the water...but I would loose the flexibility of almost limitless composition possibilities that 24mm - 624mm lens provides...

Go ahead and buy a DSLR even the cheapest model...next buy all the lenses that you would need to cover that focal range...next weigh it...then see how much you spent....then compare that to an XS-1....The XS-1 will be far lighter and far cheaper...when compared to a DSLR with the same focal range...

"the orbs"

Oh I have an early version of this camera and yes I believe I have the orbs...I tried it out as an experiment and I believe I got them....I never bothered to send my camera in for a new one...why not...because it is rarely an issue for me....I just did not want to send my beloved camera away to be either taken apart or perhaps received a different one...crazy yes...but I love this camera...and the few times the orbs have been an issue are so rare as to not be an issue....I sometimes get a bad flare...which I believe can be a problem.....but again every camera has a flaw somewhere...but for me the vast majority of my pics have turned out ok...and I have many that I have felt have looked great...

I have worked in the professional media field and I have been around professional cameras both still and video for many years....Is an XS-1 a professional camera...no....and if you get money for your photographs then by all means get a full-frame or APS-C DSLR....you just have to....but for hobbyists or for travel photography lovers who want to capture the moment with as little gear as possible for the highest quality possible (I am talking the look of the photos here...) then the XS-1 can not be beat...in my opinion...

I have never owned a DSLR...yet a couple of my pin-head sensor shots that I have taken with other super zoom cameras have been requested for use in web sites and publications....All my shots are creative commons....I have even had a request from a shot I took with an iphone...(heavily manipulated in photoshop)...but it just shoes that it is not all about sensor size or pixel detail...it is about the composition and the colours...I think some on this forum forget that....though I understand this is a gear oriented web site...and I love new toys as much as the next guy or gal...

I just feel like the XS-1 gets crapped on so much by so many here...I am here to stand up and applaud Fuji for having the guts to make a camera that was not so much geared towards the pixel peepers but towards those that love the beauty of the photograph...

Fuji I hope you do put out an XS-2...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow