Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
photo chris
Regular MemberPosts: 281
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 10, 2013

YuriS wrote:

gardnergareth wrote:

Hi

Not sure if this helps - I have both the EM-5 and NEX-7, so there's a bit of difference compared to the NEX-6.

I have had the EM-5 from when it was launched. Its image quality is excellent, it performs brilliantly with AF lenses and the IBIS is truly excellent.

I am an architectural photographer, so had been using it with a shift adapter and some Nikon manual lenses.

You can achieve great results (if you're interested, take a look at my website), but my own experience has been -

- if you are working fast, it's a pain to keep manually inputting the IBIS focal length and I keep forgetting to change it. In the end I just shoot with IBIS switched off. IBIS is much better with supported AF lenses, as it all happens automatically.

- the control interface is frustrating, particularly zooming for manual focus.

- the 'live time' feature is remarkable and great fun to use. Although I don't use it often, and then have to search through the menus each time until I remember how to activate it!

Gareth

Thank you Gareth! It is really helpful information. Wen I need to make "fast" pictures I use Oly E-PL1 combined with Pana 20mm f1.7. And very exited with the result. But when i put on it Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 - it is really good, but I feel, it can do better. So it looks like I will take Nex-6.

I have the 5n and the EM5 and I agree with lots of what Gareth says, but the grip on the EM5 changes some of that - at least for me.  With the extra assignable buttons you can have more functions at hand - such as focus magnify - and two batteries.  I have focus magnify, ISO, exposure lock and I think exposure compensation assigned to the four available Fn buttons.

The OLED rear screen is larger and much sharper than the Nex LCD - I don't have the best eyesight on the planet, but many times I can nail focus without using magnify more accurately on the EM5 compared to the 5n with peaking.  The OLED screen is just so crisp and clear.

The Nex shutter is LOUD, if you fire a burst people look your way.  The EM5 is much, much quieter.

The touch focus/shutter is a great feature that I believe was left off the Nex6.  The EM5 and the 5n have it and even though it sounds like a gimmick, its very handy - especially when shooting candids and you don't want to draw as much attention.

IBIS makes it easy to get great shots in low light or at shutter speeds that shouldn't be sharp.  Its much better than the lens based systems from Canon IMHO and better than other sensor based systems.

I've used both of my cameras with Rokkors and Zeiss C/Y lenses and I'm happy to use either camera.  I bought a $10 flash adapter off Amazon that allows me to use a standard hotshoe flash on the 5n - so I put a wireless trigger on it and fire a full-size flash gun if I need a strobe.

I paid $300 for my 5n body, at that price its crazy not to have one for legacy glass.  Its my backup/timelapse/knockaround body till it dies.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow