Sony 50mm 1.4 or Minolta 50mm 1.7

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
clarkt
Contributing MemberPosts: 681
Like?
Re: Sony 50mm 1.4 or Minolta 50mm 1.7
In reply to chrisg_75, Jan 10, 2013

I started off with the Minolta version (I am shooting with an a700). The colors are very nice, but I was getting some color noise on skin of females when I did portraits and nudes.. It didn't look so good. So I got the Sony version and that was cleared up.  So now I am using both. I pull out the Minolta for landscapes and cloud pics. It has a very 3-D effect, whereas the Sony is 'flatter'.

The difference to me is the rendition of color, not so much the sharpness. The Sony is cooler, the Minolta is warmer. If I had to choose one of them it would be the Sony, however. It is made for digital. The Minolta is made for film. The Sony is a better match for my a700.

But of course, for the going price of the used Minolta 50/1.7 on the market, about $85, I might as well keep it for when I need those "Minolta colors".

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow