Portability v Quality are we obsessed by size?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
SLLDPR
Forum MemberPosts: 63Gear list
Like?
Re: Portability v Quality are we obsessed by size?
In reply to ianbrown, Jan 10, 2013

In 1976, after taking a half-dozen Canon F-1 bodies, many lenses, and lots of film on an assignment overseas, I returned home and sold the F-1 bodies and bought Canon's new A-series bodies. I tired of being a pack mule; I wanted to enjoy photography. I continued with Canon FD-mount bodies until I bought into the EF-mount system. I now have a 5D and a 6D and five lenses.

About three years, I once again tired of carrying heavy, bulky bodies and lenses, however excellent. Because I had been pleased with my Ricoh GR 35mm camera and my Ricoh GR-D II camera, bought a Ricoh GRX system, which I still enjoy.

Last month on a project I used my new 6D and my 15-year old TS-E 24mm to my delight. The quality of the FF images was superb and the 6D's LiveView and WiFi made the job so much easier than the 5D.

I've found that there is no compromise. Sometimes I like the GRX and sometimes I like the 6D—the 5D is rarely used now other than as a back up body—especially with the EF 40mm pancake lens.

Modern photo gear is so good today that I don't miss at all the heavy iron of yesteryear.

I don't know that I'd take the 6D, 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS, 50mm f/1.4, and 40mm f/2.8 on a trip overseas; I'd likely take the GRX outfit of A50, A28, and P10 and the GR-D II along with its 21mm lens adapter. Perhaps my iPhone 5 is all I'd need on a trip overseas.

Some day, like Goldilocks, we'll find photo gear that's not too big, not too small, but is just right.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow