Comments on revised new PC build

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Birk Binnard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,704
Like?
Re: Comments on revised new PC build
In reply to Bob Collette, Jan 10, 2013

I would suggest that you spend the extra $10 or so and go withe the K model CPU (i7-3770K), as it will allow you to overclock should you decide to do so. Since you're purchasing an aftermarket CPU cooler, you have the extra cooling capacity to overclock.

Very interesting - thanks.  I had just assumed that any i7 could be OC'd, but I see that the description of the K model says "Its unlocked multiplier allows you to freely adjust the frequency when used with compatible motherboard..."

It's another $30 for the K - probably worth the additional 10% OC performance improvement.

As to your question on video, I don't really know (I only have one monitor). However, I've read that you can use the built-in Intel graphics in conjunction with a discrete graphics card. So, if your discrete graphics card supports two monitors, I would guess that you would have 3 total, including the Intel graphics.

Somewhere I read that if you put a real graphics card on a Z77 MB the onboard GPU cannot be used, but I can't find this anywhere again and I've seen no discussions about it.  I guess I'll just have to give it a try.

-- hide signature --

Birk Binnard
www.birkbinnard.com/photography;

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow