Really tempted to swap the lot for an X100s - Would you?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mibu2011
Contributing MemberPosts: 553
Like?
Really tempted to swap the lot for an X100s - Would you?
Jan 10, 2013

I have been a user for many years of DSLR's + Lenses + Flashgun + Accessories + Neck and Back Ache and for some time I have been looking for a much more compact camera with comparable IQ but I have never been able to find anything.

I currently have a Canon 60D, 17-55 (heavy!) lens, Canon external flash (large!) and Sigma 10-20 Wide angle. Not to mention the very big bag to carry.

Why do this? Because the end result is superb IQ. I've only seen better on cameras such as the 5DMKII / III full frame.

I've really tried hard to find something with comparable IQ in a much smaller form factor. I tried the Canon S110 and sent it back. I tried the Sony RX100 and I sent it back. I won't try the Sony RX1 because I simply won't pay the price.

Whilst my first passion is photography when I am away on family holidays the whole family like to see some video so that is a consideration for me. I don't like using a DSLR for video and there is no continuous auto focus. Even if there was, have you tried zooming by turning a DSLR lens with one hand, while holding the camera with your other and not have the footage jitter all over the place! Therefore my extra large bag houses a camcorder as well!

Then I read about the X100s and on paper it seems like it is the holy grail. I owned a very basic 1.2mp Fuji P&S about 10 years ago and nothing from Fuji since so I have no idea if the IQ will be up to my Canon kit level. However if it is, then I really do think I will be tempted to swap the lot and fore-go the flexibility of 10-55 that I currently have for a fixed 23mm, for the benefit of what looks like a phenomenal all in one package, including video!

I'll of course try one out before I commit, but based on what we know now of the X100s, would you do it?

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 60D Canon PowerShot S110 Fujifilm X100S Sony RX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow