Keep the Oly 17mm 1.8 or the Panasonic 20mm 1.7?

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
mister_roboto
Regular MemberPosts: 299
Like?
Re: Oly 17mm 1.8 is an excellent lens -for me-
In reply to enrique santa, Jan 10, 2013

I had both lenses.  I sold the 20mm to off set the cost of the 17mm, and couldn't be happier.

As long as someone knows what they're looking for, there shouldn't be too much a difficult decision between the 2 lenses.

For me:

• Fast AF, I missed many a shot because of the slow AF on the 20mm, regardless of what people say, it is slow.
  • Wider FOV, I prefer wider.  I have a CV 25mm, and I almost always pick it over the 20mm for use.
  • Perceptible sharpness. It's "sharp enough."  I'm not a pixel peeper, so I'm a bit perplexed by people saying the 17mm isn't "sharp enough."  Yes the 20mm is a very sharp lens, it also has a large amount of vignette wide open (although I was fine with it).  For me, there was no real-world noticeable difference.
  • Size of the 17mm is not bad, it's not a big lens.  It was VERY nice to have a pancake lens, but everything else outweighed that feature.
  • I don't use video other than occasional playing, but the 17mm focuses without motor noise being picked.

I really liked my 20mm, but it got less and less use compared to the other lenses I had acquired over time, and it became the only lens I had that didn't have the fast internal AF- not to mention being too close to other focal lengths.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow