This is why I upgraded to the 5DIII . . .

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
XeroJay
Contributing MemberPosts: 941Gear list
Like?
Re: Does this work?
In reply to Forrest, Jan 10, 2013

Forrest wrote:

XeroJay wrote:

Part of what makes the 5DIII AF so incredible is the AF tracking. This isn't just tracking a moving subject. This is also tracking a subject through the frame while recomposing. With the 5DIII, one could set the camera to Servo, ALL points open. This means that you START your focus from the CENTER point, then as you recompose, the AF will literally change AF points to whichever one of the 61 points is on the original subject, in real-time. This way your AF can make those little adjustment if the subject moves or your lens' focal plane affects things, and ETTL metering is kept in-check knowing what the subject is.

I wasn't aware that you could do this. I thought tracking would only work on a moving subject, that it wasn't clever enough to do what you're describing. I'll be delighted if I'm wrong!

http://downloads.canon.com/CDLC/EOS_1DX_AF_Guide_CDLC_Updated_June_2012.pdf

Right from Canon. Page 34-35.

-- hide signature --

If there's typos, you can be sure I used my iPhone.

XeroJay's gear list:XeroJay's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow