PBR Streetgang
Regular MemberPosts: 237
Like?
Re: Honest opinions
In reply to Mark B., Jan 10, 2013

Mark B. wrote:

shamus11 wrote:

trekkeruss wrote:

Reading some of your other threads, I don't see how asking for yet more opinions is going to help you. You know the old saying, "Too many cooks spoil the broth?" Well, too many opinions will merely confuse you. There is no perfect camera, nor is another person's choice the best choice for you.

Don't be so petrified to make a decision. If you're that scared to get it wrong, purchase from a retailer with a flexible and generous return policy.

My photography teacher suggests that a camera should be on the market for 3yrs before you purchase it. I was hoping to get some feedback that would help me look at some reputable cameras that fit my needs. The answer I was hoping for is to the question "What is your favorite camera and why is it your favorite camera?

-- hide signature --

linda coleman

I think your photography teacher is still living in the film days of camera bodies. A digital body will be obsolete or close to it in 3 year's time.

Mark

I agree:  Back in the day, you could keep a film body for a long time and simply worry about what your next lens purchase would be.  In the digital age, a lot changes in three years.  I had a Sony a850 and it is a great camera, but current Sony FF sensors are better performers in my opinion, especially at higher ISO (applies to APS-C sensors as well).  Any recent SLR from Canon, Sony or Nikon with decent specs would probably satisfy you.  At the moment, I would probably go with a camera (1) that had a Sony sensor (e.g., Sony, most Nikons, and some others, but not Canon) because Sony seems to be at the top of the heap at the moment and (2) that has the lenses you want.  I have no problem with Canon (used their cameras for 30 years), but the Canon sensor tech appears to be a bit behind the curve, especially with DR and manipulation in post.

I'd also like to comment on the "soft jpegs" statement you made.  I find that as cameras get closer to "pro" level -- whatever that means, but you get the idea -- the default output is somewhat neutral, e.g., not over sharpened and too contrasty like many P&S cameras.  Don't get me wrong, sharp, contrasty images can be very pleasing, but you want the option of going in a different direction, such as on a foggy morning.  With a serious DSLR, I would think the camera companies expect you to make your tweeks in post or, at least, in camera.  Hence, the neutral output.  No offense to jpeg shooters out there!  I use SOOC jpegs, too, but if I think I have a special image, I'm going to start with the RAW file.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow