chrisby
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
Re: Judge's choice awards: "China--People"
In reply to santamonica812, Jan 10, 2013

santamonica812 wrote:

RaptorUK wrote:

Hi,

do you plan of DQing based on this rule ?

"-IF YOU ENTERED AN IMAGE, ***PLEASE*** VOTE ON ALL OTHER ENTRIES. THIS SHOULD TAKE LESS THAN 10 MINUTES TO DO. THANKS. "

-- hide signature --

Take a look at my album . . . www.F1Album.com

If there was a way for me to verify this; I absolutely *would* DQ images where the entrant did not make an effort to vote on all images. Unfortunately, it is a bit of an empty threat . . . I can see the spread of each individual voter, but since DP takes out the username from what I can se; I don't know who that voter actually is. So, I'm still playing around with the language I use in the rules/description, to maximize turnout.

I was very very pleased at the total number of votes. Obviously, the total number meant that many people did vote on 30+ images, but that many other voters did not vote at all...or voted only only a handful of images. For now; that's a good start. I'm thinking of asking that entrants leave comments for, say, 10 images. That's something I can check on. But this raises new problems. . . all the DQ's for this violation would--by necessity--occur after the voting was finished. So, there would be a ton of blank DQ'd images scattered throughout the final tally. Something I may want to avoid.

So, the thought process continues . . .

Hello santamonica,

first of all congratulation to your first challenge as a host, it was a great start of your host carreer. Thank you also very much for presenting your choice awards, I like and appreciate such feedback very much.

Now I have to confess something: I did not vote in this challenge like I never did (with only one exception) in challenges with an own entry.

Of course I noticed your strong request to vote but because it was "only" a request I think I did not violate the rules. But if you think I did, please feel free to DQ me.

However, to compensate not voting in this challenge, I voted much more times in parallel challenges than the number of your challenge entries. I hope that is quite fair regarding the overall vote count on the challenge site.

BTW perhaps you recognized that even the top three entries got a voting result just a bit above 3 stars. I cannot prove it, but could it be that this is the result of enforcing entrants to vote in their own challenge?

All the best for your new job

The reasons not to vote in an own challenge I give as a link, I think most forum members know my arguments already.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/38284300

chrisby's gear list:chrisby's gear list
Canon PowerShot S90 Canon PowerShot S95 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 40D +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow