Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
RP McMurphy
Contributing MemberPosts: 571
Like?
Re: High ISO in D800 when Auto ISO turned on
In reply to Rafy Sugiri, Jan 10, 2013

Rafy Sugiri wrote:

RP McMurphy wrote:

As Martin says the camera will set the min shutter speeds automatically based on the focal length - you can also tune that to be faster or slower than the reciprocal of the focal length rule

I leave mine on most of the time (except with flash) and find it shoose the shutter speeds I would choose, ie 1/focal length and this way I just need to set the aperture I want and not consider shutter speed at all

I do not see the point in you letting the camera set the aperture - surely DOF control is what you want the aperure for, occasionally I may want a specific shutter speed for creative effect and it's so easy to turn the feature off with the control wheel

Great feature

Shooting in low light, if you only have f/4 zoom, you may not mind shooting at the largest aperture. In this situation S mode and auto ISO is an option.

1/focal length option is also useful but may not be the right choice for some conditions. You may want to choose faster than 1/25s with a wide zoom for example. Another situation is when you want to shoot faster than 1/focal length with 70-200 lens. In this situation, a minimum shutter speed setting in Auto ISO is the better option.

Manual mode + Auto ISO is also a good option in Nikon cameras, because you can still apply exposure compensation when necessary.

I agree with you, this is a great feature.

If you have a wide zoom, say 25mm setting, then the auto iso will choose 1/25s for you with auto ISO

If then you zoomed out to 70mm, auto iso would automatically choose 1/70s for you

If you have very unsteady hands and want greater than the 1/focal length then you can set it to do the same but at a faster shutter speed than the 1/FL - if you have VR then you may want to set it lower than 1/FL, again you can set this

So unless you want a creative slow shutter speed then why not just set the aperture you want and let it control the shutter?

Aperature is used more creatively than shutter speed more often

And when you want to over-ride then pressing ISO and rotating the thumb wheel turns it OFF

I therefore dont really follow why one would routinely set the shutter and let the camera control the aperture

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow