Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
SammyToronto
Regular MemberPosts: 128Gear list
Like?
Re: Returned the LX7
In reply to walkaround, Jan 10, 2013

walkaround wrote:

SammyToronto wrote:

It's a brilliant piece of engineering with a great lens, but I just couldn't get over its mediocre sensor performance...

In what way is the sensor performance "mediocre"?

I know if you shoot in typical situations (ie. daylight), and print 8.5x11 or smaller (which most people do), the LX7 produces amazing clear detail, low noise, and great color and contrast.

Pick the right tool for the job. I think maybe your research and choice of camera for your needs was "mediocre".

For example, I am walking around the neighborhood taking street shots on a sunny day: LX7. Kids birthday party indoors, fast moving subjects, with no flash to disturb the moments: Canon 60D at ISO 400 with a 28mm f/1.8 prime, wide open. The LX7 sensor is not "mediocre" because it can't perform at the same level as the APS-C in that situation.

Easy there, you seem to be taking a personal offense to my comments about the LX7, which would only make sense only if your last name was Panasonic! You do realize it's just a camera, right?

What you mentioned is elementary stuff and goes without saying. I knew that the sensor was the camera's Achilles heel before buying it, but hoped that the brilliant lens would make up for that. It didn't. As for the LX7's image quality in daylight, it's indeed nicely detailed, but so is that of my ancient Fuji F20, so this is a "mediocre" point to make.

SammyToronto's gear list:SammyToronto's gear list
Canon EOS 350D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PL5
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow