What Sigma should do next?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Andrewteee
Senior MemberPosts: 2,370Gear list
Like?
Re: What Sigma should do next?
In reply to PicOne, Jan 10, 2013

PicOne wrote:

Take the approach of Ricoh and try a GXR-like system. One body with performance we can outlay more money for and don't mind.. and launch with lens/sensor modules as time goes by?

A few points... First, a lot of people think the GXR concept is silly (I don't, but I don't think it's sustainable). Second, many of us who shoot with the GXR have multiple bodies anyway. I have two bodies and 4 APS units. Most of the time I take 2 bodies/units. Finally, the GXR system was intended to offer a lot of flexibility - small sensor units, APS units, m-mount units, even oddball units like remote cameras. The Sigma DP line is only 3 cameras in total (and I don't expect more).

Ricoh has not announced any new GXR units in over a year and most of us believe the concept is at its end. So, presumably, even for niche-market Ricoh, the GXR concept was not a viable long term solution. I could be wrong and a GXR V2 could be in the works.

I think Sigma is doing it right, and I might even argue that Ricoh should follow Sigma's lead in releasing multiple small cameras. Each on its own could be smaller than a current GXR camera+lens.

Andrewteee's gear list:Andrewteee's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-3 Nikon Df +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow