PAUL TILL
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,217
Like?
Re: HS50 vs X-S1
In reply to Ralph McKenzie, Jan 10, 2013

Ralph McKenzie wrote:

TAGRIFFIN wrote:

Hi

I spoke with a Fuji rep. at the Ottawa camera show and he doubts there will ever be a xs-2! Kind of implied that sales were not so great and that it was too much of a niche market to warrant an update.

Tim

I got a very similar response from Fuji NZ as well, hence my other thread asking if the HS50 is going to be the XS-1 replacement.

I've never thought for an instant that they would do an XS-2, price alone makes it prohibitive when compared to good entry level DSLR's with a half decent kit lens, not to mention its poor IQ compared to an entry level DSLR. The XS-1 could have been a great camera if they had stepped it up to 4/3, but with all its faults it was destined to be a failure. Fuji outlets here struggle to sell any at all, they are just too expensive and underwhelming for the money you pay.

-- hide signature --

Love dat Fuji
http://akiwiretrospective.wordpress.com/
Fuji HS20EXR
Fuji HS10,
Pentax K1000, Pentax sf7, Pentax zx-50

I still can't agree, if you want a one lens system you can't touch the X-S1 with a DSLR. If you take one of the better vacation lenses such as Tamrons relatively new: Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD and look at its recent review you can see what I mean.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron-18-270mm-3p5-6p3-vc-pzd

To sum it up:

Conclusion - Pros
  • Very useful 15x zoom range
  • Good image quality at wideangle
  • Quiet autofocus
  • Reasonably effective image stabilization
  • Compact and lightweight
Conclusion - Cons
  • Rather soft at telephoto, especially wide open
  • Strong distortion across most of the range
  • Chromatic aberration at each end of the zoom (most pronounced at telephoto)
  • Slower autofocus than its peers
-- hide signature --

The 10% Rule:
You Must Be 10% Smarter Than The Equipment You're Operating

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow