Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
DrewE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,995Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax Super-A + DA40XS
In reply to Silvarum, Jan 10, 2013

Silvarum wrote:

KentG wrote:

I do not think the DA40XS has a FF image circle (could be wrong). Interesting idea. I have Super A Motordrive in my collection.

DA40XS has the same lens design as SMC DA 40mm F2.8 Limited, which in turn has the same design as old SMC Pentax-M 40mm F2.8.

That's not quite true.  The optical design of the DA40 limited and DA40XS are apparently identical.  The M 40mm pancake, although broadly similar in general design, is not identical and in fact has noticeably poorer optical performance.

A few people have tried out the DA40 limited on film cameras from time to time, and there's no noticeable vignetting; the image circle covers the frame.  That says nothing about the lens's performance at the edges of the larger frame; it could be fine, or dismal, or something in between, for all I know.

In fact many Pentax prime lenses have full frame coverage: DA 35mm F2.4 AL, DA 50mm F1.8, DA* 55mm F1.4, DA 70mm F2.4 Limited, DA* 200mm F2.8, DA* 300mm F4 and some others. Also DA* 60-250 F4 is quite usable on full frame, though it has serious vignetting on 135mm+.

Also all the DFA and FA primes....

-- hide signature --

--DrewE

DrewE's gear list:DrewE's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Voigtlander 58mm F1.4 Nokton SL II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow