Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
KyleSlamchez
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?
Minimum Gear for New Studio?
Jan 10, 2013

I've been doing marketing and real estate point and shoot photography for three years now as a side gig. My housemate owns a small all-ages music studio in a historical district near downtown Indianapolis. Last year I set up a photo booth for Punk Rock Prom there, shooting on a humble Pentax K20D w/ PENTAX DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL Weather lens and a Sony NEX-5n with kit lens as a backup (terrific for b/w candids in low light). After posting the photos on Facebook the next day, several high schoolers came to me asking if I could do their Senior pictures. I respectfully declined, as I don't have the equipment for extended shoots. However, I've had more and more requests from kids and their parents, so much that I've started to take the idea seriously.
Furthermore, I am in contact with real estate agents who have asked me about professional photography for their residential listings. Some have been happy with the images I've taken with a Fuji X100, but I've stressed that what I really need is a dSlR (possibly full-frame) with an ultra wide angle lens. I also have an Olympus EPL1, but the Panasonic ultra wide-angle 7-14mm doesn't accomodate filters, which I would anticipate being a problem.
I don't have a lot of extra money right now, but if I wrote a professional business plan, I believe I could generate the necessary start-up costs from my savings and help from friends and family. My housemate is also willing to allow me to use the music venue as a studio free of charge during the weekdays.
I know that in addition to the camera and lenses I choose, I also need need lighting equipment and backdrops, which I have almost zero experience with. I'm reading some books, though, and I have plenty of cooperative subjects  to help me practice (side benefit to being surrounded by "scene kids").
Therefore, considering that the focus of the business would be a combination of portraiture and wide-angle photography of residential homes, what start-up gear would you recommend, particularly when it comes to lighting?
Thanks in advance!

KyleSlamchez's gear list:KyleSlamchez's gear list
Pentax K20D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-01 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +4 more
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K20D Sony Alpha NEX-5N
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow