Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
arie
Regular MemberPosts: 396
Like?
A700 backfocus - will not attempt to manually calibrate, here's why
Jan 10, 2013

I just got a A700 as an affordable backup camera to my A77. While I'm beginning to question this choice because of the lack of features relative to A77, it's still a good camera and I'll live with it for now.

Tested the A700 with a Min 50mm 1.7 and it definitely has backfocus issues. The Min 35-105mm (first gen) seems to be fine if maybe a little off.

I've heard that you peel off the sticker on the bottom of the camera, where the mount plate is, and then carefully turn the three setscrews the same amount to adjust the focus plane up or down (I'm not recommending this - just read it was possible). But this seems a little short sighted unless you're going to stick with one single lens, right? The effect is adjusting the focus plane for one lens, where you could have others that need a different adjustment, or micro-adjustment on cameras which support it.

So my solution is to just remember which lenses have good AF on the A700 and avoid the others. Since I've already micro-adjusted the A77 for all the lenses I own, I don't have to worry about that. Does this seem logical to you?

As with the Min 50mm 1.7, I could go through a few copies to find one that works well with the A700. Seems like a hassle though! But I can tell you that if I only had the A700 and the 50mm, I would not be a happy camper and would either blame the lens or the camera for a bad picture - something I've read many reviewers of Dyxum do. In reality, it seems that it's not the lens per se, but the camera/lens combo that doesn't work well together.

-- hide signature --

1500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was the center of the universe. 500 years ago, everybody knew that the Earth was flat. And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. -MIB

Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow