Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to gardnergareth, Jan 10, 2013

gardnergareth wrote:

Hi

Not sure if this helps - I have both the EM-5 and NEX-7, so there's a bit of difference compared to the NEX-6.

I have had the EM-5 from when it was launched. Its image quality is excellent, it performs brilliantly with AF lenses and the IBIS is truly excellent.

I am an architectural photographer, so had been using it with a shift adapter and some Nikon manual lenses.

You can achieve great results (if you're interested, take a look at my website), but my own experience has been -

- if you are working fast, it's a pain to keep manually inputting the IBIS focal length and I keep forgetting to change it. In the end I just shoot with IBIS switched off. IBIS is much better with supported AF lenses, as it all happens automatically.

- the control interface is frustrating, particularly zooming for manual focus.

- the 'live time' feature is remarkable and great fun to use. Although I don't use it often, and then have to search through the menus each time until I remember how to activate it!

Anyway, as a result of these frustrations, I decided late in 2012 to give the NEX-7 a go. And yes, it does have a rather esoteric menu system. But in my experience, once you have made the appropriate settings, you never have to visit the menu again.

I bought it mainly to use with my Canon EOS lenses via a Metabones adapter, as a lightweight backup to my 1DS III (I tried an EOS M and couldn't get on with it at all). I wasn't envisaging using with my Nikon legacy lenses and shift adapter. However, the NEX has become my 'go to' tool for this application.

It's a revelation with legacy lenses. The controls (such as manual focus magnfication) are to hand and intuitive (although the E-M5 has lots of buttons, it's hard to remember what they all do and the layout is pretty cramped). On the NEX, the focus peaking is a dream. The image quality is certainly a step above the already-excellent E-M5 – albeit it with a need to correct corner colour shifts with certain wide angle lenses, but I'm used to doing that anyway

However, I reach for my E-M5 when it comes to using AF lenses and IBIS. In particular, the 14mm, 20mm, 45mm and 75mm are all great to use.

Gareth

-- hide signature --

Www.garethgardner.com

Thank you Gareth! It is really helpful information. Wen I need to make "fast" pictures I use Oly E-PL1 combined with Pana 20mm f1.7. And very exited with the result. But when i put on it Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 - it is really good, but I feel, it can do better. So it looks like I will take Nex-6.

YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow