Question for street photographers

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Art_P
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,067Gear list
Like?
I'm another
In reply to alolywu, Jan 10, 2013

who has difficulty photographing people, so my 'street photography' consists mainly of storefronts, architectural details and the like.

Asking permission isn't really an option if you want a candid shot.  You can always delete a shot if someone objects.

Windows and mirrors can be your friends. you can take a candid shot w/o facing your subject, and other reflections/distortions/backgrounds can add depth to the shot.

But note that some people can get more bent out of shape if they think you're taking a picture of their car (shooting a reflection in the window) than if you take a pic of their kids.

Definitely easier to shoot 'street' during a parade as another guy w a camera won't stand out and you will be less self-conscious.  Take a longer lens and look for interesting people/situations across the street if you have trouble getting in someone's face.

But mostly, it's a matter of being out there regularly and making the attempt... not being able to get the shot is more about what goes on in your own head then what someone in the crowd thinks of you.

Now I need to follow my own advice!

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow