Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,697Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to YuriS, Jan 10, 2013

YuriS wrote:

nzmacro wrote:

I did comment in that thread and mainly because the majority of m4/3 users just don't understand NEX and legacy MF lenses. They get the wrong idea most of the time between the difference of the two systems. Some just have a good guess at what they think the NEX offers for MF users.

I used the Panasonic G2 at the time (with MF lenses) and a darn nice camera it was. Handling wise the NEX was a shock, its small. Amazing they put an APS-C sensor in a box this size.

So we don't have IBIS for MF lenses and that would be nice to have if you shoot at certain exposures. I don't and use higher shutter speeds or a tripod / monopod. So for me personally, IBIS is a complete waste of time, while for others it would be a huge benefit and I can see that for sure.

No secret that I love focus peaking and the control it allows for what I take. I'm not sure how important that is for wider angle lenses, others here will have a far better idea on that than I do. I use longer lenses 300mm and over, so for me focus peaking is amazing and I won't go back to a camera without it, never !!

Of course NEX has a larger sensor which simply offers better cropping ability and that's exactly what I need.

M4/3 is an excellent system if you are into more native AF lenses, but then a DSLR is even better again in that case. The adaptor for NEX to take the Sony DSLR lenses which allows PDAF is an interesting one.

All the best and MF is all I have and use.

Danny.

Thank you Danny! That is exactly a reason I put same question for two forums. It is absolutely necessary to see full picture. I don’t plan to use lenses with more than 135mm focal length (at least at this moment). So I like your comment regarding IBIS, it was one of my major concerns. Thanks again!

I use the 18200, but it is sometimes a little slow. I also have the Vivitar 1 70-210, which is similar to the 18200, just a tad faster, the Sony 70300 A (on LE-EA2 adapter). The latter two I can use handheld, with no IS, by just keeping the shutter speeds fast enough (and sometimes higher ISO). The Nex handles higher ISO quite well, don't be afraid to go there. Typically, I can get away with 1/(2*FL) for shake free shots.

I also use a legacy MF 100/2.8 and a 135/2.8 and when lights drop, these two lenses are absolutely wonderful. The problem under low light is not IS, it is subject blur. (e.g. branches moving in the wind). I get much sharper images with the 135/2.8 than the 18200 @ 135mm/6.0 because of the two stop advantage. IS means nothing then.

Since you mention 135mm max, I think that you will share this same experience.

M43 have a disadvantage with the lower ISO sensitivity. I know that the OM-D sensor has much improved, but is comparable to the Nex-7 (small pixels), and should be down sampled to reduce low light noise. If you want 16Mp output under lowlight, the Nex cameras (including Nex-7) are the winner imo,

For daytime tele, with both AF and IS, the m43 has the advantage, including crop. But, as I said earlier, getting sharp handheld images with the Sony 70300 A mount lens at 300mm is not that difficult. And the moment you focus on something darker (e.g sports hall, or forest/animals/zoo), the slow AF lenses become useless, and so does the m43 setup. A faster lens, f2.8, and the larger sensor are the way to go then.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow