Auto focus lag - Startup slow - A99

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
OntarioJohn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,959Gear list
Like?
Re: You NEED to be prepared for action shooting
In reply to j900, Jan 10, 2013

There is no dismal battery life.  I got over 600 shots with one battery at -10C.  And I was not keeping the camera warm.

If it got colder, I have hot packs you break and put in your mitt.  I've taped them to my trumpet when marching in Christmas parades when I could several years back, I can't walk a straight line without a cane now, so no more marching but they kept my horn from freezing up.

You could easily put elastic bands on the battery compartment in cold weather.

But how many people take the camera out at -20C?

I also have the vertical grip, but have only used it twice, but 3 batteries, 'cmon, you could shoot for hours, probably 1500 shots at least.

Don't be fooled, ask some other folks who have the a99 about that issue.

On the other hand I close the lcd when shooting, I don't use it unless I need to play with the menu, and that's rare.  Once familiar with the camera you can change things quick.  Except at -10C and old like me with shaky hands, and I suffer in the cold, so I wear gloves and lined gloves and those buttons are not an easy task.

But I set up the camera for the light and the settings I want and when the light changes pop open the lcd thing, put on my glasses and try to see through teary eyes.

I'd get better results in Cuba for sure, no gloves, no cold hands, no teary eyes!

Chief Ick, the Canuck, grumpy and old....so?

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow