An Interesting Article

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
I'm surprised you don't get this, Collin.
In reply to CollBaxter, Jan 10, 2013

CollBaxter wrote:

E-5 Viewfinder

FF Viewfinder.

Remember I want the bird the rest is trash.

Your example presumes the size of the viewfinder is the same.  The point Sergey is making is if the FF viewfinder were larger in the same proportion as the format, then the size of the bird would be the same in both, if using the same focal length.

Of course, cropping to the same framing will result in less pixels being on the bird for FF, as FF has a lower pixel density.

That all said, I don't think a person chooses FF to crop to the same framing as a smaller format as rule.  That is, if a 4/3 photographer is using 300mm and still cropping, the FF photographer would be using 600mm.  Of course, that's a large, heavy, and expensive way about it, thus the appeal of APS-C for many wildlife photographers.

So, indeed, for long shooting, there is a significant size/weight/cost advantage to smaller formats.  In fact, the best bang-for-the-buck solution out there is probably the Panasonic FZ200, which sports a 4.5-108 / 2.8 lens (12.5-300 / 8 equivalent on 4/3), which should do wonders for all those "struggling" for deeper DOF, especially with telephoto.  Icing on the cake, is that the camera and lens can fit in coat pocket and can be had for $460.

And, in case you think I'm being argumentative, au contraire.  Just take a look at these shots taken with Canon S40.

So, to recap -- not all viewfinders are the same size, so you example above fails, photographers generally choose the lens that gives the desired framing as opposed to a shorter lens and cropping, smaller formats have a significant reach advantage over larger formats for a given focal length due to their higher pixel density.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow