Just bought the Sony NEX-6

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,537Gear list
Like?
Keep it Simple But Flexible
In reply to Braddy11, Jan 10, 2013

IMO, keep it simple to begin with but flexible. Even if you don’t care for RAW files right now, I would advise to use RAW+JPEG mode. Back up RAW for a later date you might want to re-visit and develop the images better than your camera’s JPEG engine can.

Among other major settings, I prefer:

-Set high ISO NR to weak or off (whichever is available)

-Long Exposure NR to off

-Turn “smile/face detection” off unless you feel a need for it

I also, mostly, shoot with local or spot focusing (as opposed to wide), generally keeping it in AF-S mode. I use AF-C only when shooting action, to track.

As far as additional lenses/accessories go, what is your budget? Do you want to enjoy the pleasures of manual focusing? If you want to get into macro, getting Sony LA-EA1 adapter will be a great idea. It will pay for itself (as would LA-EA2 as well but preferable if you want to spend more initially and want DSLR-like auto-focusing). Although, for macro, you have plenty of inexpensive options from just about any mount. And of course, MF is very inviting with your camera featuring Focus Peaking.

-- hide signature --

Sony A55, Sony NEX-3, Sony F828

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow