Pentax glass faster than f/1.4

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Winder
Senior MemberPosts: 1,307Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax glass faster than f/1.4
In reply to Jim Radcliffe, Jan 10, 2013

Jim Radcliffe wrote:

I do a lot of low light shooting with my cameras, the K5 is no exception. I have a number of fast primes (43, 77, 31).. but I wondered why Pentax does not offer an even faster lens such as a f/1.2?

I know there are older Pentax lenses such as the Pentax SMCP-A 50 mm F/1.2 MF Lens but there is no modern AF version of such a lens that I am aware of.

Can anyone shed any light on this? And yes, I know that with the high ISO capability of the new digital cameras a lens this fast may not be needed by most but still, there is something very appealing about that super shallow DOF that is achieved with an f/1.2 or faster (think Noctilux) and the resulting bokeh/blurred background.

Such subject isolation is not appreciated by all but for those of us who do like it, what are the alternatives if we are looking for such a lens with AF? My old eyes find it hard to manually focus such fast lenses on the K5 IIs.

I'm just curious.

-- hide signature --

Jim Radcliffe
http://www.boxedlight.com
The ability to 'see' the shot is more important than the gear used to capture it.

The AF on bodies prior to the new K-5II was no where near accurate enough to consistently handle fast glass.

"The new PENTAX K-5 II / K-5 IIs offer a compact, solid body that delivers high quality image reproduction, especially when working in low light conditions. The camera’s new, highly sensitive AF sensor enables photographers to work with a luminous flux based on F2.8 levels in addition to F5.6, which increases the AF accuracy when using fast lenses. The AF sensor also includes an upgraded AF algorithm as well as the Select-Area Expansion feature, which automatically tracks the subject when it deviates from a pre-assigned selection point, by assessing data from neighboring sensors."

-- hide signature --

Contax 645, Canon 5D (sold), Olympus E-3 (sold), Playing with a K-7 and K-5

Winder's gear list:Winder's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow