Portability v Quality are we obsessed by size?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
kevindar
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,482Gear list
Like?
Re: Portability v Quality are we obsessed by size?
In reply to ianbrown, Jan 10, 2013

In a sense those of us who dont shoot with a large format camera are making compromises in image quality.  its always a ballance, and you have to look at intended need of the photograph, other than zooming in 100%.

I have 3 "systems".  a 5d3 with about 15 lenses, mostly L, an nex 5N with 3-4 lenses and an ovf, and a pansonic lx-5.  I use all 3 on a regular basis, albeit, the panasonic gets the least use, and I think all 3 excel at what they are meant to do.

If I were to go to a dedicated landscape shooting trip, I would always take my 5d.  If I am going to a wedding or party, I usually take the nex 5N with 18-55 and 50 1.8. the 50 fits in cargo pants or even suit pant pocket for me.  I went to a wedding of a cousin with this combo, and loved it.

If I am just going out for a walk, with my two little daughters, or dont want to fuss with equipment, and light is good, take my panasonic.

around the house, I exclusively shoot my 5d3, however my wife still prefers the nex5n.  she takes more videos, and I mount the sigma 30 2.8 lens for her, and then she loves the size and takes a lot of pictures of our children, one handed.  she would never use my 5d3 nearly as much.

I have images produced by all 3 of those systems that I love and cherish.

kevindar's gear list:kevindar's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow