Nikon tacky advertising in canada

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,265
Like?
Re: Nikon tacky advertising in canada
In reply to Jon Stock, Jan 10, 2013

Jon Stock wrote:

TWO LETTERS DEFINE WHO YOU ARE AS A PHOTOGRAPHER.

What's interesting to me about this ad is that it's very explicit in that they are trying to lure photographers into their full-frame product line.  They're not just just saying "our FX camera is the best", they're saying "if you don't have FX, you need it".  So they're trying to draw photographers up-market (I think it's safe to say that this is not aimed at the MF crowd).

They're probably aiming more squarely at the APS-C crowd than M43 users, but I'm sure they'd be happy to take both.

As technology gets better, the corners of the performance envelope where you really need FX are shrinking.  They'll always be larger than M43 and other smaller sensor cameras, but for any typical photographer a given camera format is, over time, meeting more and more of their needs.  The corollary is that, for a given set of needs, over time they can be met by cameras with smaller and smaller sensors (with DOF flexibility a possible exception here...)

So the high end of the market is getting more and more exclusive.  Nikon is trying to counter this with lower prices and an advertising campaign.

The prices really are getting lower on that stuff.   I happened by a Black's Photography yesterday and was treated to the odd sight of "free" lenses.  They were selling the body-only Nikon D600 and the body + 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 kit both for exactly the same price - $1999.  It's almost as if FX customers are savvy enough to understand that it really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to pay for a huge sensor if you're just going to hobble it with a slow lens.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow