LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video

Started Jan 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,645Gear list
Like?
Re: LX7 Setup Guide and Tips and Tricks Video
In reply to Lobalobo, Jan 10, 2013

Lobalobo wrote:

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I do have a question, though, about using P mode. I never use it because I'm never sure how the camera decides on aperture and shutter speed. I take it that you think setting minimum shutter speed fixes this problem, that the camera will if it can drive the shutter speed to the minimum if need be to approach the aperture of ideal sharpness. Is that right? Do we know what that aperture is, and if so, would we get the same result by using A mode and selecting that aperture along with a minimum shutter speed and then letting the camera adjust ISO accordingly? Finally, speaking of ISO, you say in your video that selecting an ISO max of 3200 speeds the shutter as compared to setting ISO to Auto. But that strikes me as strange in that in Auto the camera should feel free to reach 3200, or higher, on its own. So why does imposing any max speed the shutter selected? Thanks again.

The reasoning behind selecting “P” is complex. Program priority mode is the most automated of the P.A.S.M modes. In fact it is what all full “Auto” modes on cameras use. Therefore, it gives the user the least amount of flexibility to manually select specific options.

However, this mode does allow some manual selection. You can manually select any ISO you want to choose on the Panasonic cameras. That means that the ISO will be fixed though.

In most situations novice users just want to be able to have the camera choose the settings that will use the fastest shutter duration while still maintaining good sharpness and not using too high of an ISO.

The LX7 has a very nice lens and while it is sharpest when stopped down slightly it is still very good when the aperture is wide open. In addition it does better than I expected at ISO 3200.

Therefore, by using “P” mode with auto ISO set with a specific maximum of ISO 3200 and the minimum shutter speed of 1/60thof a second or faster you will achieve good results in any lighting.

The reason that “P” with Auto ISO is not used as often with Professional photographers and full frame cameras is that full frame lenses typically need to be stopped down considerably on full frame cameras to increase depth of field and increase sharpness.

You can adjust the Aperture and Shutter speed in “P” mode. However, it is up to the camera to choose which one it adjusts. Therefore some users would rather use “A”, “S”, or “M” to explicitly control each parameter.

With the LX7 my opinion is that the camera does a good enough job with selecting the appropriate settings for any situation that it is the best mode to use. However, you must turn on the minimum shutter speed setting and choose ISO 3200 for Auto ISO limit.

If you choose the Auto upper limit for Auto ISO then it will never use any higher than ISO 1600. I know ISO 1600 vs. ISO 3200 doesn’t sound like much. However, the difference between 1/60th of a second and 1/120th of a second shutter speed can be huge in certain situations.

Set up the camera as I have described and try it out against the A,S,M modes. In good outdoor lighting you probably will get good results with any of those options. However, if you go inside you will need to manually adjust the settings to get the other modes to work.

With the "P" mode and the settings I suggested you shouldn't need to adjust much if anything at all when the lighting varies.

Hope that helps.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow