Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
YuriS
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?
Re: Advanced legacy lens user: What to choose Olympus OM-D E-M5 or Sony NEX-6?
In reply to nzmacro, Jan 10, 2013

nzmacro wrote:

I did comment in that thread and mainly because the majority of m4/3 users just don't understand NEX and legacy MF lenses. They get the wrong idea most of the time between the difference of the two systems. Some just have a good guess at what they think the NEX offers for MF users.

I used the Panasonic G2 at the time (with MF lenses) and a darn nice camera it was. Handling wise the NEX was a shock, its small. Amazing they put an APS-C sensor in a box this size.

So we don't have IBIS for MF lenses and that would be nice to have if you shoot at certain exposures. I don't and use higher shutter speeds or a tripod / monopod. So for me personally, IBIS is a complete waste of time, while for others it would be a huge benefit and I can see that for sure.

No secret that I love focus peaking and the control it allows for what I take. I'm not sure how important that is for wider angle lenses, others here will have a far better idea on that than I do. I use longer lenses 300mm and over, so for me focus peaking is amazing and I won't go back to a camera without it, never !!

Of course NEX has a larger sensor which simply offers better cropping ability and that's exactly what I need.

M4/3 is an excellent system if you are into more native AF lenses, but then a DSLR is even better again in that case. The adaptor for NEX to take the Sony DSLR lenses which allows PDAF is an interesting one.

All the best and MF is all I have and use.

Danny.

Thank you Danny! That is exactly a reason I put same question for two forums. It is absolutely necessary to see full picture. I don’t plan to use lenses with more than 135mm focal length (at least at this moment). So I like your comment regarding IBIS, it was one of my major concerns. Thanks again!

YuriS's gear list:YuriS's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow