sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,158Gear list
Like?
Re: You NEED to be prepared for action shooting
In reply to Nordstjernen, Jan 10, 2013

Nordstjernen wrote:

j900 wrote:

2) Startup can be sluggish.

Then just increase the time unti the camera goes to sleep.

This is not a solution - the dpr review of the A99 page 10 states that the startup time is the same whether you turn the camera on or wake it from sleep - this is one of the more worrying A99 negatives in my opinion.

Do you expect just to grab your camera and point at some action and then get great shots?

This instantly-ready-for-action-shooting thinking has very little with reality to do.

You have to be well prepared when shooting fast action!

This is very true. I have an NEX-5N and expected this with street photography (so, not even fast action, per se). I failed. No surprise there. I tried an RX1 and I failed. I then tried it with a D600 and still failed.

A better practice, for me, is to have my camera in 1 hand as I walk around (wrist strap) and to immediately hit the shutter release button as I start to raise the camera for a shot so that the camera wakes. This gives me a little head start to having my camera activated to shoot. But it's still important to steady the camera and all that jazz to increase the odds at capturing keepers.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow