Portability v Quality are we obsessed by size?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,113Gear list
Like?
My issue with size/weight has nothing to do with compacts.
In reply to ianbrown, Jan 10, 2013

Let me say first off so that I begin on-topic that I do not see a Manufacterer releasing a compact in my lifetime with the IQ and features I have come to enjoy and I am not willing to compromise.

Secondly, I consider the 5 series cameras to be my "compacts". Being 61, I find the 5D2 with several lenses to be easy to carry/haul in my backpack in the backcountry.

I am absolutely frightened that Canon will make the huge mistake of releasing their high res camera in a 1 series body. I now carry a 5D2 & a 3Dx, the 3Dx being the equivalent of a 1 series body. It is ridiculous how unnecessarily heavy and bulky this thing is and when faced with taking just one camera, usually because I am about to undertake a rugged hike, I always reach for the 5D2 in spite of the fact that the 3Dx is the superior camera operationally and in IQ.

I think the 5 series cameras have the perfect size/weight ratio for the feature/IQ ratio. Period.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow