Can the Canon ST-E2 trigger the 600EX-RT Flash using IR?

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Will Patterson
Forum MemberPosts: 80Gear list
Like?
Can the Canon ST-E2 trigger the 600EX-RT Flash using IR?
Jan 10, 2013

I'm looking to add another flash to my kit which in which my main body is the 5D MK2, but am having a bit of a dilemma. I have a 580EXII and am looking for an additional unit that will allow me to wirelessly trigger several flashes for lighting rooms etc.

I'm trying to decide on getting either a 600EX-RT to future proof with RF instead of IR (and i'm also planning on getting a 5D MK3 soon). If so i was wondering if the ST-E2 would trigger it and in turn also the 580EXII.

The problem with getting the ST-E3 is that you can't mix the wireless modes with RF and IR so it wouldn't trigger the 580 leaving me with only 1 flash.

The other option is to get a couple of 430EXII which will work with the 580 (and for about the same price of the 600EX). Though I'd probably end up selling these when i can eventually upgrade them all to RT.

What do you think?

Will Patterson's gear list:Will Patterson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow