X100s = $1,299. What will X100 price now be?

Started Jan 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stephenbw
Senior MemberPosts: 2,453Gear list
Like?
Re: X100s = $1,299. What will X100 price now be?
In reply to Photozopia, Jan 10, 2013

Photozopia wrote:

hexxthalion wrote:

actually, more like £959 which should result in £999 which was RRP in the UK at launch of X100, which was the same $1299 as is X100S.

1,450.00 USD = 905.649 GBP (Source XE Currency Exchange - was £898 or so earlier in the day)

I asked WEX yesterday via chat if the £1099 is the final or estimated price, they replied that the price is to be confirmed yet.

I thought that's what I'd already said ... hence their BIG BOLD 'get-out' clause ... yes???

So far, all X Fuji cameras have their cost in the UK reflected US price x exchange rate + VAT and rounded (X100, X-Pro1, X-E1). I believe that the final UK price will be £999 and month later £899 (that's what I paid for my X100 when it became available in the UK and that was high street shop price, no discount)

By the time the X100 had filtered down to actual retail outlets it had been on release for months - I know, as my attempts to score one from high-street retailers at the time drew blanks, or 'long supply line' responses. The original debuted at £1000 (officially) but many smaller retailers, particularly via pre-orders, had much higher prices to control demand.

In the US, buyers were equally flabbergasted at the UK price 'hike' ...

I've just looked at some archived Amateur Photographer ads from the period - even three months or so after release, some retailers were 'discounting' to £899 - whilst others claimed 'call/see web price' - rarely was it offered at a discount ... or available. I resorted to buying an ex-demo via Ebay in the end, such was the scarcity in retail stores.

Expect much the same scenario, unless Fuji has stockpiled millions for world-wide distribution ...

I don't believe the same scenario will play out at all.

As I already said in a previous reply the stock problems with the X100 were largely down to the tsunami and some resellers sadly took advantage of this situation. However I don't recall any reputable retailers, like those you mentioned previously, hiking their prices. In fact, quite a number of people on this forum who had pre-ordered the camera were lucky enough to get theirs in March 2011 for the RRP of £999 from companies like WEX and the LCE and others reported buying them over the counter for this price on March 9th.

In effect the launch of the X100 was prolonged by events outside of Fuji's control, (although there was no official 'launch date'; Fuji merely announced the the X100 would be available in the UK "from Spring 2011" ) and when the camera was effectively 'launched' in greater numbers the UK it did so with £100 discounts from a number of reputable dealers.

Barring unexpected natural disasters I expect to see the X100S available in the UK at the end of February for £999 with further discounts in the following weeks.

-- hide signature --

Stephen

Stephenbw's gear list:Stephenbw's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Canon PowerShot G11 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Ricoh GR Fujifilm X-T1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow