Auto focus lag - Startup slow - A99

Started Jan 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Nordstjernen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,281Gear list
Like?
Configure your camera first!
In reply to dcheney, Jan 10, 2013

dcheney wrote:

1) In in AF-S, AF-A and AF-C modes the camera will focus, and look like it should be ready to take the shot, but then it will hang (not locking the af and not allowing you to take the picture), just long enough to miss the smile or purpose, and if the subject is moving (even a little bit), then the autofocus will hang long enough where the person moves and it will have to refocus.

Avoid the AF-A mode. Not the best for action photography. Use AF-C mode.

Configure the AF settings to fit the subject you are going to shoot. This is important.
I mostly use center spot AF, but centre group might also works well for not-cluttered scenes.

Also be sure to set the camera to Release Priority if you don't want AF to block the release.

Expectin wide Field AF to work well is a bit too optimistic.

2) Startup can be sluggish.

Then just increase the time unti the camera goes to sleep.

3) If I try to start the camera, and then hit the play button to review photos it can take 4-5 seconds to process that.

Should not affect shooting.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? I’m using the Sony 50mm 1.4 and Sigma 70-200 2.8, but I notice it happening a little more on the Sigma, which I think is just because of the telephoto part.

With all cameras you have to know the limitations, and work from this point. Then all cameras will work pretty well, and there are not large differences for cameras in the same league.

The A99 tracking AF is very fast, and more important, reliable -- when configured for the task!

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony Alpha 7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow