Getting lots of wierd looks and attention from taking pics in public

Started Jan 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,266
Like?
Re: Getting lots of wierd looks and attention from taking pics in public
In reply to Cameranoobie, Jan 10, 2013

Cameranoobie wrote:

And not good attention either. People think im nosey or the papparazzi. Any way to avoid this?

Hansa Yindee had mentioned using a short lens, and I've also found that the type of camera I'm using can have a big impact on the attitude of those around me.  Any camera with a protruding lens seems to draw negative attention, but a tiny compact like the Contax i4R or a camera whose lens is about flush with the camera body (such as my old Sony Mavica FD-200 or the non-extending lens on the Pentax W20 waterproof camera) are pretty much ignored.

Where a person is at in public is also a factor.  If you're at an amusement park, zoo, or some other attraction where taking pictures is almost expected, it is less likely to be a problem.  If you're taking pictures of people where they live and work, or when they're just out for a walk enjoying their community, then you should expect that many will be a bit annoyed.  You have a legal right to take pictures in public places, but I don't know anybody who likes the idea of being photographed at random by strangers as they go about their daily routines.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow